Sometimes exercising is just plain tough.
See, I’ll admit it. While I love the feeling of a fantastic workout, sometimes it’s really hard to get into it mentally. Often, the hardest part for me is actually getting to the gym. Once I’m changed into my gym clothes, I’m set to go, but there’s usually a lot of procrastination that occurs before the clothes-changing.
One thing I rely on to get me moving, and keep me moving, is a mantra. Actually, I use a ton of them. I repeat them over and over again to remind myself how great I’m going to feel after the workout is over.
Here are some of my favorite mantras from all over the place to get my butt into the gym, pool, on the bike or road. Maybe one will help you stay motivated, too. 🙂
- You’ll never regret a workout.
- Don’t exercise because you have to. Do it because you can.
- There are 168 hours in a week. I’m only asking for 7 of them.
- You’re just one workout away from a good mood.
- Just go. If you really hate it, you can stop after 15 minutes.
- If you train hard, you’ll be hard to beat.
- Nobody else is going to do it for you.
- If you work your body, it will work for you.
- You get back what you put in.
- Either do it or don’t. There is no try.
When I’m in the middle of my workout, here are some of my favorite go-to quotes:
- No pain, no gain!
- You’re stronger than you think you are.
- Work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger (Kanye West lyrics to “Stronger”).
- That don’t kill me can only make me stronger (Also from “Stronger.” Yes, I sing it every time).
- This is not the hardest thing you’ve ever done.
- You can do anything for one minute.
- Pain is temporary.
- This is 10 percent luck, 20 percent skill, 15 percent concentrated power of will. Five percent pleasure, 50 percent pain and a hundred percent reason to remember the name (Rapped lyrics from Fort Minor’s “Remember the Name).
- Keep on keepin’ on.
- Just keep running, just keep running (Spin off of Dory from Finding Nemo).
And my all-time favorite quote that I turn to when running:
- When your legs are tired, run with your heart.
Here are some other great motivational quotes, in case they happen to strike your fancy. What are some of your favorite mantras?